Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Lesson Learned from a Child with Autism

photo from Autism Awareness' Facebook page
September 14, 2012. In a jeepney on my way to work, I sat beside a boy. He was very quiet, hugging his umbrella so tight. A lady sat beside me, she requested the boy to move a little. He didn't move or say a thing. His father who is sitting in front of him requested him to move a little and he obediently moved, still hugging his umbrella. The boy leaned beside me, as if he knew me. I was about to ask him not to lean on me but before I can even say a word, his father interrupted as if he knew what I was about to say. He told me, “pagpasensyan me nang special ya” (pardon him, he’s a special child). His father then started to tell the boy’s story. The boy was born with autism. The father said his child used to cry for no reason, he shouts whenever he wants to, he breaks glasses and dishes, he would run as if he doesn't want to be chased and he would poop anywhere. Looking at the boy, I didn't think he could do such things. He was so innocent, so beautiful. He would hug the umbrella so tight as if it was his greatest possession. Continuing the father’s story, the boy went to series of therapies, and he is still undergoing such. His father said the boy improved a lot. He doesn't do the things mentioned above anymore, and that he is good in Mathematics. When the boy was born, their business grew and that is the reason why his therapy was financed. The father was almost teary eyed when he said, “iya ing swerti ku’ (he’s my lucky charm). Finally, I've got the answer to my question without even asking, why does he hug his umbrella so tight? His father told me that the boy shows his love to his little sister through that umbrella. Whenever they walk together, he would hold the umbrella to protect his sister from the heat of the sun (maybe from the rain too). I find myself teary-eyed as well with the boy’s story. Then, I hate that I have to say goodbye to him because I have reached my destination already. I'm happy that he waved his hand to say goodbye to me too, and I'm happier with what he has taught me. It’s not everyday that I encounter things like this. I realized that God’s blessings to each of us are unique. We shouldn't label God as an unfair God for not giving us what we want. Let us thank Him for what He already gave us without asking. Others will think that having a child with autism is a cursed, but the father sees his child as a loving older brother to his baby sister and a lucky charm. Our perspective in life makes all the difference. What we have and we will have are all blessings from God, they just come in disguised sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment