Monday, March 4, 2013

Embracing Motherhood


me and my first mini me :)
Like pregnancy, it takes time to accept the role of motherhood. Being a mother, especially for the first time is like entering a new road, and there’s no turning back. It’s an endless journey of learning. A job that has no day offs.

When I first became a mom, I was afraid of so many things. I was excited to hug and kiss my baby, but my excitement ended there. I am more scared than excited to the new responsibilities ahead of me.

One step at a time, I have embraced motherhood. I am still on the process of learning but allow me to share with you some of the first steps in embracing motherhood.
me and my second mini me :)
Ask for help. When I gave birth with my first child, I stayed with my mother. She taught me the basics— how to change diapers, how to bath the baby, how to burp the baby and the likes. Eventually, I learned things by myself. Mothers, sisters or your girlfriends can give you good tips or advises. They can even demonstrate the basics, but just the basics. Remember, there is no lesson on how to be a good mother. It’s up to you to be one.

Don’t be afraid to try. There is a first time for everything, sometimes even second time, third time, fourth time, until you finally get things right. I remember it took me months before I finally bath my first baby all by myself. When I did, it was an achievement. Actually, it was more than an achievement. Her giggles were music to my ears. I also discovered that she loves water. It was a lesson learned. I wouldn't know that she loves swimming in the water if I haven’t tried bathing her.

Avoid mistakes if your baby will be compromised. The first few nights with the baby were painful sleepless nights. I didn't want to fall asleep because I’m afraid of what will happen to her if I even close my eyes. Do not exaggerate but think of the consequences of your actions over and over before doing them. Like what will happen if you fall asleep while you’re bottle feeding your baby?

If you’re losing your patience, pause. I remember my baby crying out so loud that no matter how hard I try, she wouldn't stop. What I wanted to do was just to raise my hands, tell the world that “I surrender” and run away. In as much as I wanted to, I didn't. If this ever happens to you or some similar incident, here’s what you can do. Let the baby cry while you take a deep breath, this should take around five seconds. Then check the baby again for possible reasons of his or her crankiness.

Bear in mind, babies will not remain babies forever. Appreciate the little things that your baby does. Be obsessed with your baby. I was and I still am. Play with them, take pictures of them, kiss them, and hug them while you still can. Before you know it, they will no longer allow you to do such. (Sniff, sniff)


No comments:

Post a Comment